Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Let's make cake, cyber cake

I'm a huge fan of the cyber-punk genre.  I can't help it nor can I explain it, but I like the flashing lights, the bright colors mixed with dark colors, the Tron feel to everything and the futuristic way things look.  I remember going into the Cyberdog store in Camden, outside of London on a very cold, wintry day a few years ago.
Ever since I went there, it has been stuck in my brain of all of the awesome clothing they have.  Well, they also have house-wares.  This is something I purchased recently:
They call it a Retro Arcade cake pan, made of silicone and is green and shaped like an 8-bit video game character.  It is awesome, cute, funny and small, about 6 or 7 inches square.  So, on the back of this box, is a recipe and I thought that I should find out how it turns out.

So, I follow the recipe and instead of doing the basic vanilla flavored cake, I decide to zest a lemon, boil the zest to make it tender and then add 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice as my flavoring agent.

I mix everything together as the basic and simple to understand instructions suggest and pour it in the mold.  After 25 minutes in my 355 degree F oven, I get this, which doesn't look like much now.  I was immediately worried because I had thought that the cake would have risen more.  I didn't know that the cake was like a pound cake.
Perfect.  My review of this cake pan/mold is a 5 out of 5 stars or 5 out of 5 cyberdog logos; whichever you prefer.  It worked great and it was very easy to remove the cake from the mold.  The great thing about silicone is that heat can transcend through it to heat the contents without heating the container too much.  It also cools off so quickly that within a minute, I was able to pop the little guy from the container.

No comments:

Post a Comment