Thursday, May 3, 2012

The chicken, the chicken, what to do with the chicken

My favorite protein of all time is chicken.  My friends could tell you stories for years about when I was younger and would go to any restaurant, day or night, and order something chicken.  It is one of the most versatile ingredients and can take on the flavor of anything that it is paired with.  It also is a scary one, with so many illnesses and problems that can occur with cross contamination of e-coli or salmonella. I always seem to over-cook chicken as I am always afraid that it is underdone.

I cleaned out my freezer last weekend and found this:
So, what can you do with a whole chicken?  Well, it is sitting in a container so it can thaw, in the refrigerator.  After it took 3 days to thaw, I found some spices:


I took out the chicken of the bag, cleaned it and removed the bag of "goodies" from within the cavity.  I then used my good scissors and cut out the backbone.  I laid it down carefully and used about 1/2 of the contents of the spices to sprinkle on top and inside of the chicken.



So, the chicken was sent into an oven and came out like this.

I know it will take me a while to get it past me that if you put a chicken, in water, in a pan with some tin foil on it, for long enough, it will cook perfectly and stay moist.  And most of all, it was fully cooked so I wasn't worried.

No comments:

Post a Comment