Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Our house

Our house is the name of a coffee shop and cafe in Columbia, Illinois.  I'm trying to think about it, but best I can come up with is that it is the ONLY coffee shop and cafe that is open, every day, in Columbia.  I know that there is another one, but it has erratic hours.  This one, is great as when we stopped in around 8am, they were kind, courteous, and friendly.  As well as good food and good prices.
 This is the outside of the cafe and while the main door, on the left, doesn't look like much or looks like it would lead you into a nice spot for a bite, then you are wrong.


The inside looks like it is filled with things.  While it may look cluttered, these items are all useful so it has everything you want.  Do you want a full breakfast to go?  They have it.  Do you want some coffee and to sit around and lounge and relax and forget your cup? They have that too.  Are you trying to stave off extra calories and would like some sugar free syrups in your coffee?  Well, they have more than 10 of those.  I know that the other coffee house in Columbia didn't have any, last time we checked. (Which was a while ago because I forgot when they were last open.)

What is the food like?  Well, when we went in, there was a single woman watching the front and cooking the food.  I ordered my usual breakfast tester: biscuits and gravy.  This is what I got:
 
This is a to-go order as well.  I am sure it was under $5.  But this was two homemade biscuits, split in half with what seemed a gallon of rich, homemade sausage gravy on top.  It was better tasting than McDonald's and IHOP combined!  5 out of 5 stars.

My wife got the spinach quiche and this is what it looked like.
My wife thought that it tasted good and it was a 4 out of 5.

My son, who will eat almost anything with eggs in it for breakfast, ordered the egg breakfast and got this:

Yeah, that looked like 2 eggs, 2 toast, some butter, jam and some fruit.  My son ate the eggs, but not the toast.  Not that there was anything wrong with the toast, other than it was toast and he is 3 years old.

Anyway, I suggest you to stop into Our House, the next time you are in Columbia.  It is very relaxing inside and while it may not have that "new" trendy style like a St. Louis Bread Co., Starbucks, or other coffee shops may have, it definitely meets its goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment