Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A whole new opinion

If you check through my posts, I think near the beginning of them, I posted that I really didn't like Whole Foods.  A few years ago, when I went to Whole Foods, the food, all of it, was expensive.  I don't make much money, and the thought of spending $50 for 16 items at Whole Foods, where that same $50 can get me more than 30 at another store like Dierburgs makes me question how good the Whole Foods items can really be.  I was disdainful of the smug people who drive their hybrid vehicles, complain about parking far from the store, and then complain inside and that much is true.

But...

Some of that has changed.  This past weekend, my wife and I went to Whole Foods.  We were just going to look around and see what we could find, after we picked up some lunch and ate it in the cafe' area.  As we walked through we did need a princess and I'll tell you more about her later and she does seem to embody or represent how most of the people act at Whole Foods.  But the food prices were actually not expensive anymore.  I think the reason for that is that the normal food prices at other stores, have gone up, so now the organic prices are the same.  So, you get the same amount of food, roughly, but one is organic and pesticide free and the other is not.  So, anyways, the biggest good point of the night was the meats, which were on sale.  We picked up some chicken habanero sausage and some pork sausage.  Both sausages had no nitrites or preservatives and were in natural casings.  So, no bad stuff.


The best thing we picked up, well two best things, was the dandelion greens and the bacon.  The greens were huge and way better than the 2 inch long leaves growing in my yard now.  I can't wait to do something with them.  We also picked up some bacon, on sale as well.  The bacon was black forest bacon and has no salt and no preservatives.  Imagine a world where people didn't put harmful chemicals in their food.   :)


Now, that part was all cool and made me like Whole Foods again.  What made the trip bad, was the amount of smug and pretentious people that you meet there.  You have women complaining about the pesticides in their food and then after they spent $300 on food there, they light up a smoke as they walk out to their car.  You have the guys who act like they are doing a personal favor to the planet by shopping there and then get their groceries into their H3.  Finally, you have the housewives who appear to have been let out of their cage for the first time in their lives.  While money does create a class system in America, and anyone who tells you otherwise is full of it, it doesn't mean that you have to treat someone any different because they make less money than you do.

I really want to rant and rave about these people but that is not what I do.  Anyways, Whole Foods is back on my list, until, the local farmers get their stands out.

No comments:

Post a Comment