Thursday, May 26, 2011

which is the true America's favorite corn bread?

A few weeks ago I wanted to pose a true test: which of the following is America's best corn bread.  (Or at least, which is the tastiest).
All three of these boxes were about the same price, give or take a few pennies.  All of them were already simple to the point where you just add water or milk and maybe an egg and mix and cook.  How simple could this be?  Well, it was a good test.

First off, let's give a big round of applause to the Native Americans for coming up with cornbread.  I love it when it is cooked properly and tastes great.

Now, the first one I tried was:
The Flavorite brand was basically made to make the cheapest products using the cheapest ingredients at the most generic level.  Their cornbread, when mixed and placed within a pan and cooked, as instructed, came out so dry that I could only eat mine with some fresh jam I had made.
Flavorite gets a 2 out of 5 on their box cornbread.

I then went with this next one:

I think it said that the Martha White brand had this recipe from the early 1800's and passed it down to you and you know what?  It doesn't taste good at all.  There was almost no corn flavor in this.  It was as if they made the most bland tasting corn meal from mixing it with flour and making something dry and crumbly with no flavor.  Again, a 2 out of 5 stars for Martha White.

Last, I picked this one: America's favorite brand
America's favorite was perhaps the best of all three of these boxed concoctions.  Was it dry? Yes.  Was it so dry and crumbly that it was hard to eat in your hand? Yes.  Was it tasty?  Well......let's say that it tasted the most like real corn than any of the three.  So, between then three of them, it was the best.  A 3 out of 5 for me.

Now, for future reference, if you were doing any dish, like stuffing or a framers cookout and you needed a quick cornbread to be used as a component for other things, not to star as its own, but for other things, then use Jiffy.  I make better cornbread from my own recipe but for the 5 minutes it takes to mix it and the time it takes to cook it, it was a nice treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment