Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Vegas part one...2012

Besides here, my writings also appear on insidestl.com.  Insidestl.com mostly is about st. louis and the surrounding areas, but I had approval to talk about something outside, every once in a while.  So, for this and one more, I'll talk about my vegas trip.  If you don't like it or if there are any trolls, so be it.


First of all Pappsito's Cantina is a Mexican restaurant in the middle of the Dallas/Fort Worth airport.  This restaurant specializes in Mexican food but unlike other Mexican restaurants, the food here is really good.  Why is it really good?  Well, because of butter.  I ordered the fajita grill and was given some seasoned and sliced beef and chicken and it was glistening with melted garlic butter.  It also came with a small dipping bowl, filled with butter.  I asked the waiter and he told me that it is cooked normally, but when the meat is resting, they pour melted butter on everything.  So, it was high in calories but the taste was awesome.  Also, this restaurant needed to set it apart from other Mexican restaurants so they do something very strange: the serve warmed salsa.  It isn't even remotely cold, but actually almost hot.  I'd give the food here and this restaurant an easy 3 & 1/2 stars out of 5.

Now, you should know by now that I dislike it when a business or corporation decides to use improper grammar or syntax or spelling to create what they think is an edgy name.  This next place does it but I let them go because the food is so good.  I ate at Xtreme Sushi two times at two different locations, both in Las Vegas.  This sushi restaurant is different than the traditional ones because there is loud music, televisions playing sports and a non-traditional atmosphere or environment.  It would be hard to guess that it was a sushi restaurant at all.  The food was really good though.  The sushi rolls were huge, the non sushi items like their spicy chicken or xtreme steak was super tender and delicious and everything was just great, in both locations.  I'd give this place a good 4 out of 5 stars.

The Peppermill is a restaurant located on the strip, across the street from the newest Trump tower.  This restaurant is like an IHOP but with bigger portions.  I know I ordered the French Toast and ended up with two, huge Texas toast sized pieces, two strips of bacon, two links of sausage and 3 eggs, for under $10.  The big thing was the fruit plate.  It was not supposed to be a big deal, but this is Vegas.  The fruit plate came out, with about a half of a gallon of vanilla ice cream and 10 pounds of fruit.  That was Vegas style.  What was also fun about this restaurant, was that it reminded me of one of the clubs in Grand Theft Auto Vice City.  It had the bowling alley style carpet, fake trees inside, neon colors and lights and the waitresses wore outfits reminicent of the late 80's.  The food was great and the service was great.  An easy 3 & 1/2 stars out of 5.

The last place for this part, is Hot & Juicy.  Hot & Juicy is a New Orleans style seafood and other food restaurant, with the addition of a super hot sauce and seasoning on their food.  What the average person gets, is a bag, filled with this super hot sauce, some shrimp, a potato and some cuts of sausage.  It is all boiled and steamed in the bag and then served to you, in the bag still.  All you do is cut open the bag, wait for it to cool off, then dive right in.  I'm not a seafood person, so I didn't eat the clams, shrimp or the lobster. I did try the fried catfish, which was good and ordered a large serving of the sausage, cooked in the Hot & Juicy signature sauce.  What surprised me, was that the sauce, was made from shrimp pieces.  I found a shrimp leg and part of a shell in my bag.  So, thinking that there would be no seafood in my food, I found chunks and pieces and could tell that the super yummy sauce and stock.  The sauce didn't taste fishy, like I would have expected and there wasn't too much shrimp flavor.  It was all very tasty.  I'd give everything I tasted, from the corn fritters to the sausage and to their signature sauce, an easy 4 out of 5 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment