Tuesday, January 11, 2011

It breaks me heart...

One of my most favorite restaurants in St. Louis is called The Stable.  Ever since I first wrote about this a few years back, I personally have known as many as 50 people who started to go there.  Not all of them are foodies but just people who wanted to get a good meal.  Now, this Saturday my family is going to throw my grandmother a party and if I am not mistaken, she is turning 88.  I decided to take her and my father as well as the rest of my family to The Stable for brunch.  What occurred once we entered the door may have been one long string of not-so-great events that culminated with a bad feel and an apology from the waiter.

Now, we did The Stable because I looked at their brunch items, which looked reasonable.  We arrived, were seated quickly because of our reservation and waited for about 15 minutes before our drink order was taken.  About 5 minutes later we got or drinks.  After our drinks came, it too the waiter no less than 1 hour to come to take our food order.  My grandmother ordered the Elvis toast, my father ordered the Cajun biscuits and gravy, my wife and I both ordered the Bauernfruhstuck and we got the Farmer's breakfast for the two kids to split.

This is where things started to go wrong:
The menu says that the Elvis toast is "French bread drudged in and cinnamon egg custard and pan fried.  Topped with peanut butter, bananas and bacon."  Now, from the picture you may notice something right off the bat: there is honeydew on the toast, not bananas.  Instead of bananas, which they were out of, they offered another fruit choice.  Well, my grandmother thought that the fruit change likely wouldn't matter that much because there are still two large pieces of French toast.  Well, that wasn't French toast.  Apparently, "French bread dredged in and cinnamon egg custard and pan fried" means to just make toast and burn it on top.  It wasn't French toast or even remotely soft on the inside!  It was rock hard toast.  With peanut butter and the substitute fruit.  We complained to the waiter and he explained that they get a lot of complaints on this menu item.  So, not only do we probably give it a 2 out of 5 since it wasn't anything like what was advertised on the menu.  But, if it is a menu item that has had that many complaints, maybe someone should have said "hey, let's fix this or remove this."

The Bauernfruhstuck, was steak, grilled onions and peppers, hash browns, eggs, toast and bacon. 
The whole plate and the eggs were all cold.  The hash browns were undercooked and rubbery.  That was it with mine, but cold and rubbery is enough for me.  2 out of 5.

My kids had their food as well, which was also cold.
My kids, both were starving, because it took an hour for our food to arrive, but this was a very normal food dish; albeit cold.  I was told that they were short staffed and I can see why.  It looked like maybe the waiter was the one cooking all of the food.  The brunch hours are till 2pm and while this was a planned event, I find it very unlikely that we will return for another brunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment