Friday, November 15, 2013

So, I can't eat it all....

Ever since Halloween was invented, I am sure that the parents of those occult children were wondering what to do with the abundance of candy and treats.  Well, even though candy has enough sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup and chemical agents in it, it really doesn't last forever.  So, what do you do with the candy you have left over or the candy you don't let your kids eat? (I admit it, my kids already have several thousands of dollars of work that has been put into their teeth and for them to eat a tootsie roll only to have their filling come out or to loosen their crown is enough for me.)

What I did, was take those candies that I don't give to my kids, like all fruit flavors of taffy and Starburst.  I placed them in a pot, unwrapped of course, and threw in about a stick of butter.  As soon as I turned on the stove, I was now slowly edging into candy-making territory.  The thing with candy making and sugar, is that if you don't watch the temperature, it will turn into something different than what you had wanted.  If the temperature gets too high, it will become brittle and crack.  If it is too low, it will still be runny and soft.  I wanted mine to be runny and soft so I got it just to a boil and then removed it from the heat.

I mixed my Blondie brownie recipe and then slowly mixed in my sugary mixture.  I stuck it in the oven at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.  When it came out, I checked it with a chop stick (instead of a tooth pick) and then set it aside to cool.  It had taken on the color of the melted taffies and chewies.  What it did also, was turn itself into a thick and chewy brownie; resembling a dump cake.  (A dump cake is a recipe where you mix a packet of cake mix, 2 sticks of butter and a can of pie filling together and bake it.  It creates a chewy, moist and flavorful cake.)

(If you want this recipe, let me know)

No comments:

Post a Comment