Thursday, November 7, 2013

A crazy good Irish place, in Maryland.

I have learned, ever since returning from Ireland, that if you can find an Irish pub and restaurant that serves food that makes you think it came from Ireland, then mark that place down and keep it.  There are a few places like that in St. Louis, but this is a place in Timonium, Maryland.  This is An Poitin Stil.  What you have here, is an Irish restaurant decorated in such a way, that not only does it look like several different buildings stuck together from the outside, but several different castle and Medieval motifs put together on the inside. You have everything from black powder guns to swords, lining the walls and candles on the tables with chandeliers from the ceiling.

So, let me explain, that one of my favorite dishes, that I actually ate at a pub, in Ireland, was a dish called Sheppard's Pie.  This pie is a traditional pie you may have seen at other places that mixes vegetables and meat together in a broth and then smooths a layer of mashed potatoes on top and cooks it.  The one I had in Ireland, tasted just like this one, from An Poitin Stil.

This one, is just like I had, the big chunks of vegetables, the broth, the potato 'crust' on top and even the large chunks of lamb.  It all tasted so good that it truly reminded me of Ireland.  The vegetables were each tender and juicy.  The lamb was not gamy and moist and tender as well.  Everything worked so well together it was as if the cook had been making this dish for decades.  This dish alone got a 4 out of 5 from me.

My sons ordered the fish and chips and needless to say, they were not covered in some beer batter like everyone else claims that fish n chips are.  These were simply battered and in such a way that there wasn't a space between the fish and the fried on batter.  It was one.  It was perfect, a 4 out of 5 for me. (And kid approved.)


Now what this place delivers in traditional tasting fares, it has a choice of new items as well.  Take this one: a twist on corn beef and cabbage.  They call these "Blarney Spring Rolls".  They are corned beef, cabbage and potatoes wrapped up in a wrapper and deep fried, like a traditional Chinese spring roll. Each bite has all of the tastes together and while I thought these were excellent there, they were just as good the next day.  A 4 out of 5 stars for me.


I have to say that even though I didn't order the Salmon, my wife said it was quite good and looked perfect. She gave it a 3 out of 5 stars.


So, if you are in this town, right outside of Baltimore, I highly suggest going here.  Not to mention the large assortment of beers and spirits.


2323 York Road
Lutherville-Timonium, Maryland 21093

http://www.thestilltimonium.com

No comments:

Post a Comment