Sunday, July 7, 2013

A hidden surprise

So it was a hot day in St. Louis and after running some errands around Natural Bridge Rd., I thought of looking for a food truck to get lunch back to the office.  Since it is summer, I had my two sons with me and needed to find something that was both child friendly and tasty.  So, I found my way to the downtown area and went for the Wells Fargo building, hoping to find Guerrilla Street Food.  That truck was not there and instead, a new one, for me, was there: Roberto's Trucktoria.  So, I wondered to myself: "Italian food? Will my boys eat Italian food?"  So, we parked the car and walked to the food truck, camera in hand.  It was there that I gave my business card, asked what was the specials and then asked if I could take some pictures.  Now, no less than the real Roberto, of the truck's and restaurant's name came out, introduced himself to me and answered any questions I had about the food and the restaurant.


Now, besides meeting the friendly and helpful Roberto, we did receive the items we had ordered and I want to let you know, first, that they were delicious.


The thing is, that when you have a meatball sandwich and your kids steal the meatballs out and eat them leaving you with just the bun, then you know you have a good sandwich.  I did get a taste a meatball and my wife did too and when you take a bite and respond with "oh wow, that is good!", then you really have something there.  That sandwich was an easy 4 out of 5 stars!

Now, we also ordered the roast beef sandwich and just like the meatballs, they do everything by hand and from scratch.  So, there is no store bought roast beef and just heated or nothing like that.  The roast beef was just like the other sandwich, for my kids.  When given a third of the sandwich, they opened it up, ate out the meat and then the cheese and said that they were done with that.  Whether it was meant to be this way or not, Roberto's food is very kid friendly!  The sandwich was an easy 3 and 1/2 stars out of 5, meaning that it is the best one I have had.

You want dessert?  How about some made from scratch Amaretto Gelato? (It was perfect, by the way.) Or, what about some made from scratch Cannolis?
I can't describe these accurately: they were light, crunchy and cold.  They had flavors of chocolate, vanilla, and cinnamon.  They were so good that my kids inhaled them.


Please visit Roberto's truck, wherever it may roam.  Also, visit his restaurant.

145 Concord Plaza
St. Louis, MO 63128
314-842-9998
www.robertosstl.com

No comments:

Post a Comment