Thursday, January 5, 2012

A new year brings change.

A new year brings new change and with new change comes something fun and exciting for many of you, forced with new year resolutions of eating better and exercising.  This is the time of diets.  My wife had wanted to go on a diet and get back to her weight, before the kids, but has always had difficulty maintaining the lifestyle of a dieter while working 50 hours a week and being the mother of two kids.  As for me, I have always helped her or tried to help her as much as I could with her diet but was unable and unwilling to give up my somewhat-healthy lifestyle for hers.

I just figured that she was doing the diet so I could eat anything I wanted, like normal, and she would have to deal with it.  I have been blessed and cursed with lycanthropy......I mean a great metabolism.  It stems from my father's side of the family and is a mantle that is passed down through generations of hard working farmers.  My family line has a body structure that is tall, lean and long legged.  We are all built thin and ready to work from day one.  We also have a large appetite that is easily taken care of by an even faster metabolism.  I know that there were days at work, just a few months ago, where I would inhale a whole box of Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies.  I think each package of brownies has about 300 calories and with 6 or so in the box meant that I was taking in about 1,800 calories in one sitting.  While my metabolism did a great job working it down to nothing there is the matter of a small weight gain.

Think of it this way: the idea behind High Fructose Corn Syrup is that when you ingest it, your body doesn't recognize it as a 'sugar' so your body doesn't release insulin to combat it.  Your body doesn't release insulin, but your body doesn't know what to do with it and stores it as energy: fat.  So, you are left with a fat, that is stuck on your body, especially around your waist: your insulin meter.  I'm not really fat, but mostly out of shape and while my wife works and works to lose her weight, I merely just want to be able to stretch and be able to chase after the kids at the park for an hour and not be tired.

So, what does this mean?

It means that while doing my normal reviewing and writing of restaurants and products, I will be looking at things that are on the more-healthy side of the scale.  Instead of making huge 9,000 calorie chocolate cakes, I will be making very little calorie deserts.

If you are interested, keep reading for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment