Tuesday, September 24, 2013

some recipes?

Okay, someone a while ago wanted some recipes and I have to say that when I have no idea what to talk or write about, a recipe is the easiest thing to share.  My children don't eat food.  I know it may sound strange but it is true.  They are both growing and not badly underweight but we don't really see them eating anything, most of the time.  We joke that my older son gets his energy from photosynthesis.  This mean though, when we do find something that he WILL eat, then we try our best to replicate it as best as we can so that he can eat more of it.




So, the first thing I made was this roasted pork loin.  The pork loins have been on sale lately at places like SAMS Club or even Shop n' Save.  They have been going for as low as 99 cents a pound!  So, we picked up this giant 15 pound strip of the loin and I chopped it into thirds.  I took the other two to the freezer for later use and then I cleaned the large strip of fat off of the other one.  I placed that one in a gallon sized Ziploc bag with about a 1 cup and a half of apple cider vinegar and then about 3 tablespoons of ground mustard.  I let that sit in the fridge for at least 24 hours.

Then, out it came and placed in a cooking dish.  It was rubbed with some dried onion powder, crushed caraway seeds, paprika and salt and pepper.  Take that and have that sit aside.  Then take some carrots and onions and dice them up.  Take both veggies and place in a large pan and cook them with olive oil until they start to get a little browned.  Then, add the loin into the pan and sear all sides of it while the veggies are still cooking.  When the loin is seared, then place it in a nice glass roasting dish and sprinkle the veggies on top or all around.  Cover with foil and cook in a 350 degree oven for 1 and 1/2 hours.  When the timer goes off, remove the foil, add some water to the pan, about an inch of water, and then place it back in the oven for another hour.  The water will mix with the veggies and make a sauce while keeping the pork moist.  Because it was marinated overnight in the vinegar, it will be very tender.

The other thing I did, was roast some small butter potatoes.  I picked up some fresh potatoes from the local farmer with his stand, down the road from my house and then sliced them in half and placed them slice side up, with a spray of olive oil and a sprinkling of rosemary, salt and pepper.  They roasted for about an hour.

Lastly, I had some asparagus done up. I snapped the last bit off of each stem and threw the lot of them into a pot of boiling water.  I let them cook for about 3 minutes and then took them out and placed them in a bowl of cold water.  When they cooled down then, I placed them flat, in a large pan and cooked them with some extra virgin olive oil and then lightly seasoned them with salt and pepper.

Now, it isn't very fancy, but this meal is delicious and is very easy to do.  If you have any questions about it and the recipe specifics, let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment