Thursday, October 25, 2012

Why haven't I been there before?

Last weekend, my family and I spent some time in a bar/grill in Kirkwood called Bar Louie.  Apparently this place is the bomb and I just have been centered on so many other places to notice.  Whether it is a big name or a small name, most restaurants and the like go under my radar.  Maybe it has to do with how I work 40+ hours a week and don't have the time to eat out during weekdays.  Maybe it has to do with my two young children and how it is a gamble finding a child-friendly place to eat.  Or maybe I just don't think that most bars can have good food as well.  Whatever the reason, all of that changed when I ate at Bar Louie.





The inside of this bar was inviting and nice, it was decorated with the dark, stained hard woods and still had enough lights and colors that it seemed like a good fusion of a pub and sports bar.  Blah, blah, blah, the waiter was nice and they had full view of the kitchen.  I know that most places now hide the kitchen and some like Bar Louie, let you see it all so you don't get an excuse why your food is taking time or is taking longer; you can see why.

So, what did we order?

The chips and dips and salsa were good.  You could tell that the chips were hand fried there and the salsa and queso dip went over well with my kids.  I say a 3 out of 5 for chips and dip.

I ordered a sandwich which was a BLT with a fried egg and it was awesome.  Everything was right about the sandwich and I'd order it again.  I gave the sandwich a 4 out of 5.


There was a plate of popcorn.  What made this different, was how it had butter and truffle oil all over it.  It was still light enough that it wasn't too strong or rich and still light and fluffy.  A nice starter so you can sit there, have a few drinks and popcorn.  A simple 3 out of 5 for me.


There was the shrimp salad, which had perfectly cooked shrimp on skewers.  You could tell that the shrimp was fresh, because most frozen shrimp can become rubbery when cooked and this was not.  A simple 3 out of 5 stars.


Even the quesodillas were good and even better for kids to eat.  Everything worked out well and this was a good 3 out of 5 as well.

Call me what you will, but I've never been to a Bar Louie's much less this one and having been there once, and experienced it, I think it would be a great place for parties and the like.

No comments:

Post a Comment