Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I think I just became a little dumber...

Okay, earlier yesterday, I was subjected to one of the most horrible tortures known to man: car work.  My truck was due for the 60,000 mile, sit in the waiting room all day, service.  I was prepared, I had a snack, a drink and my I-pad.  So, as I waited, and waited, I just tried to play my games and avoid the uncomfortable feelings that arise from other people as they look at you like you are nuts and then try to avoid sitting in the seat right next to you. 

So, while sitting and trying to relax, the show comes on.  The waiting room has one television, stuck on one channel and playing at one volume level; so there is no escape. But wait, could I be saved? No.  What was on?  The Today Show.

I used to, as in used to know of the show when it was on and my parents watched it when I was young, but now don't care.  There is no TV at work, which I think is where some of the people who watch this show should be at.  I don't care nor see any reason as to why anyone needs to know about what shoes are in style or where to get the best cereals.

There were two parts that really bugged me, besides the show in general: 

First of all, there was a segment on packaged foods.  It was called "Eat Smart Today" and they wanted to showcase the best packaged foods for women.  They didn't have a medical expert, but has a contributor for Woman's Health magazine.  Keri Glassman has written several books on nutrition and has a practice in New York City and claims to help millions of people by being in the media.  (This is odd, because this means that if millions of people have a chance of reading this post, I too, am helping millions of people.)  Still, looking at a segment showing off a few items and quickly talking about how great they are, seems a bit of a waste instead of talking more in depth about one thing that matters to women, like calcium intake.

There are some cereals and while cereals are great, cereals that have dark chocolate, cocoa butter and other fattening things in them, while pushing the protein and whole grains ideas, still have fat.  For instance, if someone was on weight watchers and wanted to eat this cereal, this most likely would be a high point value cereal.

The idea of someone talking to "millions" of people and endorsing one type of cereal over another because you don't like it, is something else.  Special K is a good cereal for women and some of them have added nutrients and vitamins.  I'd say that they are just as good.  But I wonder if any of the parent companies of the featured products had commercials supporting the Today Show...       

The next thing was this segment called "What's on the menu": http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/48970075/ns/today-food/t/perfect-potluck-make-brisket-decked-out-figs-more/#.UE43cq6FvN8

I was expecting something, like food being cooked or something being prepared, and you know what?  They didn't have any of this.  The hostess for this segment was Maureen Petrosky and she is listed as a lifestyle expert.  I'm a lifestyle expert too.  So, besides looking at how to use a large towel to wrap up some wine bottles or making mixed drinks ahead of time and storing them, by portion or serving, in mason jars until needed, or using a special soup jug, which could be purchased or one like it at Dierburgs fr $7 or at someplace else for as much as $40.  Nothing, not even cutting the top of a fig and placing a glob of blue cheese on top is enough to make the segment work for me.  Why?  Because when someone asks, "what is on the menu?", it usually is an indication that they wish to order something to eat.  The are not interested in seeing someone put blue cheese on a fig and call it a dish anymore than someone who puts a cherry on ice cream and calls it a Sundae.  Thy don't care about tying up wine bottles or how to store a soup, expensively, or their mixed drinks.  I bet, they are interested in see what is available for consumption.

I just have to say this: I will try now, even more harder, to avoid this useless dribble on television.  

No comments:

Post a Comment